|
...as in I really need to get out more. I mean I did need to get out more, I'm venturing out of my house lately and let me tell you it's been hard.
It's shocking I know. I'm fairly confident and gregarious in public settings so one wouldn't think they'd give me anxiety attacks. If I'm familiar with the setting then I'm fine, OR if I'm with someone I know then it's okay, however if it's a brand new situation in a brand new place I start to freak out just thinking about it. I don't know why, I'm sure it stems from some childhood thing, most of these sorts of phobias do, either way it kinda keeps me from wanting to leave the confines of my safe home. This is all fine and good if it's just me I have to worry about, it takes on a whole new meaning when my children are involved.
DD is wonderful, energetic, creative and an absolute joy to be around. She also tends to be like me in brand new social settings. Either she expects it to go a certain way and when it doesn't she freaks out, or there is just so much new stimuli that it overwhelms her and, you guessed it, she freaks out. So now I have the job of slowly introducing her to more and more social settings before heading to school gives her an aneurysm. :p
I hadn't even really realized how much she had been affected by her lack of contact with other kids, but my goodness it becomes clear whenever she is in a setting where there is another child, or God forbid someone else vying for my attention. Yet another reason to socialize her, she's getting a sibling and that sibling is going to get my attention too.
So I'm branching out, hanging out with new people and saying to the fear 'SHUT UP'...that loud too, fear can be very persistent...lol My girl is a lot like me and while that can be a challenge at times it gives me unique insight into why she reacts to certain situations the way she does. Having that insight can help her because I truly do understand her reaction and in that I can teach her a way passed the fear into situations that mostly are rewarding and worthwhile.
Then she'll surpass me I'm sure of it. My child is truly amazing. I look forward to seeing the personality form in this new child I'm carrying. My guess is there's a 'he' in there and he'll be a lot like his daddy, but if he's not, if he's also a lot like me then he'll have mom and sister on his side to understand. And his dad on his side to challenge him, as he does me on a regular basis. :)

Post a Comment