Making strange...

...I have heard time and time again that Arielle is too young to make strange...so then why does she? I certainly don't try to facilitate it by running to her rescue every time she squawks when she's being held by a new person...but she still does. Granted most of the time she's tired and probably over stimulated so it doesn't help that she's being held by someone new...but still I am shock by how much she freaks out.

Yesterday, in point of fact, I went out for brunch with Jae and Marie...Arielle sat in her car seat in the booth and played with her toys for a bit while I ate...then I took her out and she just hung out on my lap looking at Marie and Jae. Then when Jae wanted to hold her she seemed perfectly fine and didn't make a peep while she was being held. She was at the tail end of being awake for 3 hours and she seemed just fine.

Then later that night we went out for supper with a bunch of people and any time anyone tried to hold her she would flip right out...like reaching decibels I didn't know she could reach! It was slightly disconcerting...now in her defence she had fallen asleep in the car, woke up in a strange place and then was whisked away from mom while she was still waking up...so maybe it was too much too fast for her and then it spiralled down hill from there.

When I got home Jonathan's parents were here and she wasn't much better...again she hadn't really napped well during the day, she was over tired, hungry and needed to just go to bed. So obviously that isn't necessarily the point to teach her about getting used to people...but it still makes me feel bad that people I trust and love are foreign to her. While I was rocking her to sleep (read: calming her down) I told her that everyone who was holding her loves her and it's really okay for her to be away from me for a bit. That doesn't mean I'm going anywhere for a long time...I'll always come back. She doesn't get it now I know...but I figure if I can instill that in her now then maybe since she's making strange early...she'll stop making strange early. I suppose in the long run it's not a big deal I just can't help but feel I'm to blame even when I know I'm not...I'm not making sense I'll stop. :p

In other news we went to the doctor on Wednesday for Arielle's four month shots and wow she has grown. She's just over 25 inches and weighs 16.5 lbs!! My big girl!! :) She was pretty good for not having a nap and being in a strange place. She cried during the actual receiving of the needles but calmed down pretty quickly (especially after I fed her :) she was also really good on the scale this time. Last time she flipped out on many levels and this time she just looked like she was trying to figure out why the heck she was on the scale...lol

I fretted all morning about how it was going to go and was I going to cry again, but no this time I was strong (read: forced myself not to cry) and it went well...I anticipate that next time the reaction will, again, be different so I won't even attempt to assume I know what's going to happen...lol

I just realized that today is Halloween so I guess Happy Halloween to everyone. We aren't going to do much today. I might get Jonathan to pick up some candy on the off chance that we get anyone at our door. I didn't get Arielle a costume so maybe we'll be more involved next year. I can't believe it's almost Christmas and am going to start my countdown tomorrow when November officially starts. Anyway, the munchkin should be waking up soon so I'll sign off. Oh what the heck I'll add another picture...lol She seems to have the same look on her face in most of these pics...weird.
1 Response
  1. Krista Says:

    Yeah, it's funny, but Kai did the same thing around her age. Something about being 4 months - they're way more aware of what's going on, but they don't completely understand everything they're aware of yet. On the bright side, maybe if she plays strange now, she'll be fine when she's a little older. It will get better, as everything does.

    Glad she did well at her appointment. I still can't believe she's as big as Kai was when he was 6 months!! LOL You really gotta stop with all the steroids in your milk, you know. ;)