|
One year, I’d completely lost my bearings trying to follow potty training instruction from a psychiatric expert. I was stuck on step one, which stated without irony: ‘Before you begin, remove all stubbornness from the child’.
Mary Kay Blakely
Wow this quote just about killed me. If anyone can figure out how to remove stubbornness from a child you just let me know. Mine is determined to go on the potty on her and only her terms. I'm not the type to be militant about milestones so my DD is approaching 3 still in diapers. I'm sure there are some of you shaking your heads or even worse heading to the comment section to give me a metric crapload (natch) of advice on how to potty train 'right'.
I'll stop you right now. I don't want it. I appreciate the sentiment and I'm sure it worked for your Johnny poop pants or Janey pee pee. That's all fine and good. I applaud you that your child was not only out of diapers at 14 months but giving lectures on how to use the potty by 16 months. I get it, you are superior at potty training. Feel free to take my kid and try and get her to actually use the toilet. Go ahead I dare you. If you manage to train her then I am proven wrong and absolved of the torture of training. Win win I say ;)
The sarcastic diatribe is not meant to offend anyone who has shared their potty training experience with me or offered advice it's just my frustrating way of saying NOTHING WORKS! LoL Here's what she will do. She'll sit on the potty quite happily most times. In fact she'll sit there for as long as half an hour. Then promptly pee in her diaper the moment it's on. I tried a morning of putting her in panties. She'd pee a little bit on the floor then sit on the potty half an hour, rinse (literally) repeat. I got sick of it after the third or fourth time following her around the floor trying to tell her to stop so I could mop up the pee from the floor, her legs and her feet. I was done then and the diaper went back on. After her nap it was so full it's was beyond disgusting.
I know I just have to push through. Stop right there. I won't, there is nothing worth me running after my kid mopping up her excrement. Not gonna happen. I do it anyway in the diaper, how is this any different? I have no issue with cleaning up an accident after she's done the training, but there has got to be a better way to actually just get her to GO on the toilet. She's never let anything leave her body into that toilet. Not once. I'm convinced that the moment she does a light will go on and we can go from there. (In that instance I'm not so opposed to cleaning up after her because I know she can do it) The trick is getting her to actually go, I'm fairly certain she's terrified. And if I get intense at ALL it will shut down all functions in the lower half of her body. If she has to perform to make me happy, she just won't. (I know I know it's like she's MY kid or something, I can hear you laughing mom! Quit it! :)
So I'm talking about it. She HATES having her diaper changed so I'm trying to explain (without exasperation whenever I can) that if she actually used the potty I wouldn't have to change her. She seems to somewhat comprehend that but doesn't actually do the deed! I'm considering letting her spend a day outside in nothing to get her used to some feelings without anything to hold her back. Just gotta remember to lather on the sunscreen...I fear she'll just tighten up and release the moment she has a diaper or underwear on.
What is she so afraid of and how can I cure her of that? Scratch that don't answer, I don't want to know. Hmm I wonder where she gets her stubbornness from? ;)
Mary Kay Blakely
Wow this quote just about killed me. If anyone can figure out how to remove stubbornness from a child you just let me know. Mine is determined to go on the potty on her and only her terms. I'm not the type to be militant about milestones so my DD is approaching 3 still in diapers. I'm sure there are some of you shaking your heads or even worse heading to the comment section to give me a metric crapload (natch) of advice on how to potty train 'right'.
I'll stop you right now. I don't want it. I appreciate the sentiment and I'm sure it worked for your Johnny poop pants or Janey pee pee. That's all fine and good. I applaud you that your child was not only out of diapers at 14 months but giving lectures on how to use the potty by 16 months. I get it, you are superior at potty training. Feel free to take my kid and try and get her to actually use the toilet. Go ahead I dare you. If you manage to train her then I am proven wrong and absolved of the torture of training. Win win I say ;)
The sarcastic diatribe is not meant to offend anyone who has shared their potty training experience with me or offered advice it's just my frustrating way of saying NOTHING WORKS! LoL Here's what she will do. She'll sit on the potty quite happily most times. In fact she'll sit there for as long as half an hour. Then promptly pee in her diaper the moment it's on. I tried a morning of putting her in panties. She'd pee a little bit on the floor then sit on the potty half an hour, rinse (literally) repeat. I got sick of it after the third or fourth time following her around the floor trying to tell her to stop so I could mop up the pee from the floor, her legs and her feet. I was done then and the diaper went back on. After her nap it was so full it's was beyond disgusting.
I know I just have to push through. Stop right there. I won't, there is nothing worth me running after my kid mopping up her excrement. Not gonna happen. I do it anyway in the diaper, how is this any different? I have no issue with cleaning up an accident after she's done the training, but there has got to be a better way to actually just get her to GO on the toilet. She's never let anything leave her body into that toilet. Not once. I'm convinced that the moment she does a light will go on and we can go from there. (In that instance I'm not so opposed to cleaning up after her because I know she can do it) The trick is getting her to actually go, I'm fairly certain she's terrified. And if I get intense at ALL it will shut down all functions in the lower half of her body. If she has to perform to make me happy, she just won't. (I know I know it's like she's MY kid or something, I can hear you laughing mom! Quit it! :)
So I'm talking about it. She HATES having her diaper changed so I'm trying to explain (without exasperation whenever I can) that if she actually used the potty I wouldn't have to change her. She seems to somewhat comprehend that but doesn't actually do the deed! I'm considering letting her spend a day outside in nothing to get her used to some feelings without anything to hold her back. Just gotta remember to lather on the sunscreen...I fear she'll just tighten up and release the moment she has a diaper or underwear on.
What is she so afraid of and how can I cure her of that? Scratch that don't answer, I don't want to know. Hmm I wonder where she gets her stubbornness from? ;)

LOL. You are hilarious. She'll come around. :)
A friend of mine didn't have her daughter potty trained until she was 4. All kids are different, and some might just be more "ready" than others. This little girl one day said to her mom, "look, mommy, I can touch both sides of the door way now without letting go! That means that I'm a big girl, and big girls use the potty.".... Good luck, and hang in there.