Potty Training Update...

I've thought of writing an update on our potty training experience for some time now. There wasn't much to say since my last 'report'. We sort of stalled on the whole 'going' part so there wasn't much to do. I will admit it was getting very frustrating for me. I had no intention of changing a three year old 's diapers, in fact I was dead set against it. That won't be me! I don't understand why anyone would 'let' their child be in diapers for that long. Yeah I said all the condescending things you can think of because I didn't know. I didn't know my child.

Ever since the beginning my girl has been intent on doing it right. She won't attempt it until she's confident she can do it right. Starting from rolling over right to potty training she had to be certain and every time I'd get frustrated. Why wasn't she sitting up by herself yet? Why wasn't she crawling? How come it took her so long to walk? Why wasn't she talking yet? You'd think by this point I'd realize my kid has her own time table and that I can't impose mine on her. I can encourage her and teach her but I need to be patient that she'll get it when she gets it. She's such a perfectionist she beats herself up if she does it 'wrong'.

So potty training consisted of us talking about it every day. She'd follow me into the bathroom when I'd go (I'm a mom I can't even find privacy in the bathroom lol) we'd talk about it every time I'd change her and she seemed to mostly understand the concept but couldn't quite believe that she was capable of such a thing. I tried everything to get her to stay on the potty until she actually went. One morning I decided that getting her to sit on the potty in the morning, while she watched her morning cartoon, with her chocolate milk might be the most relaxed setting I could get her in so that she might actually go. Finally after a few mornings of trying she actually did go, very little, but she went and she was so proud of herself she wanted to try again later that day when she went some more. Then her next goal was keeping her pull-up dry for the afternoon and now she's trying to keep it dry all day. We still haven't reached that goal but at least she's trying. :)

I don't know how it happened honestly. Last week if you would have told me she'd be telling me she has to pee right now I'd have laughed at you. I was pretty convinced we'd be only having headway when she was ready for kindergarten. I'm slightly dramatic when it comes to these things and patience may be a virtue but I find it mostly a pain. So right now we have made great strides in our training. I find that every time I think I'm going to be teaching her something she ends up teaching me.

We are by no means done with training but I'm feeling a little bit more optimistic about not having to purchase diapers for a teenager ;)
0 Responses