|
Why is it that the human race is so resistant to change? I know I'm being highly general but I've found, as a whole, that all of us kick and scream into change even if it's good.
I come by this question as I deal with change at work. More acuretly as I make changes at work, therefore forcing others into change. I absolutely understand that everybody deals with change differently and sometimes they'll like it better the old way and don't want it to change. My sentiments at this point, too damn bad, deal with it...that horse you're beating...IT'S STIL DEAD!!
Okay most of you will need some type of backstory. You see the office space I'm occupying used to be for the assistant to the Vice President of Student Services. In fact it still is, a part of my job is to be his assistant. The problem arrises with the school deciding to blend two jobs, the assistant job with the tour coordinator job. *insert eye roll* I love this school but sometimes I just don't get some decissions...but that's just me. Anyway the assistant part of my job requires my office to be open so students and staff alike can ask me various questions. I'm in charge of lost and found and the daily 'paper' that's printed. So I have to filter through adds to be put in the daily and L&F that accumulates. Fine no problem.
Except the OTHER half of my job requires that my office NOT be a thoroughfare and more of an office. So while I don't mind people coming to my office there are times when I'm on the phone talking to a venue about one of the teams and frankly it's disruptive, rude and unprofessional for me to um and uh in the conversation because someone has decided to waltz into my office and announce what they need. Or when I try to close the door for privacy, knock and enter without an invite because they 'need' something from my office. *sigh*
You see I understand that this USED to be a more open office and if I only had that one job then I wouldn't mind at all...but since I have the tour job on top of it I need to change what used to be or I can't do that job well at all. Which brings me to my question of why people find it so difficult to change. I know it used to be different, I know this is inconvenient, but I could do without the subconcious 'jokes' aimed at me because I have instigated the change.
*sigh* Sometimes I wonder at the purpose of working with people. Actually I don't like working with computers either because mine right now is a piece of crap. *sigh* Cranky much?
I'll go now. :)
I come by this question as I deal with change at work. More acuretly as I make changes at work, therefore forcing others into change. I absolutely understand that everybody deals with change differently and sometimes they'll like it better the old way and don't want it to change. My sentiments at this point, too damn bad, deal with it...that horse you're beating...IT'S STIL DEAD!!
Okay most of you will need some type of backstory. You see the office space I'm occupying used to be for the assistant to the Vice President of Student Services. In fact it still is, a part of my job is to be his assistant. The problem arrises with the school deciding to blend two jobs, the assistant job with the tour coordinator job. *insert eye roll* I love this school but sometimes I just don't get some decissions...but that's just me. Anyway the assistant part of my job requires my office to be open so students and staff alike can ask me various questions. I'm in charge of lost and found and the daily 'paper' that's printed. So I have to filter through adds to be put in the daily and L&F that accumulates. Fine no problem.
Except the OTHER half of my job requires that my office NOT be a thoroughfare and more of an office. So while I don't mind people coming to my office there are times when I'm on the phone talking to a venue about one of the teams and frankly it's disruptive, rude and unprofessional for me to um and uh in the conversation because someone has decided to waltz into my office and announce what they need. Or when I try to close the door for privacy, knock and enter without an invite because they 'need' something from my office. *sigh*
You see I understand that this USED to be a more open office and if I only had that one job then I wouldn't mind at all...but since I have the tour job on top of it I need to change what used to be or I can't do that job well at all. Which brings me to my question of why people find it so difficult to change. I know it used to be different, I know this is inconvenient, but I could do without the subconcious 'jokes' aimed at me because I have instigated the change.
*sigh* Sometimes I wonder at the purpose of working with people. Actually I don't like working with computers either because mine right now is a piece of crap. *sigh* Cranky much?
I'll go now. :)

Post a Comment