Writing idea...

I don't know what I think about this. I have been getting positive feedback so that's definitely a good thing, but heck I said this was going to be a writing blog so I figured I'd at least try it out on you guys, whomever reads this. :)

Here's an idea...it's a working title and I'm still figuring out the bugs, hopefully this one takes off and doesn't go to the writing graveyard I'm collecting on my computer.

Let me know what ya'll think:

My Choice
© SDW 2006

I should have a superhero suit. In fact I should invest in one and then go out to fight crime because apparently what I am is just such an iconic thing people literally are in awe when they hear it.

Let me tell you a little bit more about me. My name is Caden. I am 24. I live in a basement suite owned by my parents. I work as an administrative assistant for a local counsellor. I’m social, I like to hang out with my friends and have a great relationship with my parents and siblings. I consider myself to be average looking although I’ve heard tell that some find me very attractive. I can’t rate, I have to look at my face and body every day I’m just me.

I cry at chick flicks and see no point to horror movies. I watch TV and spend most of my time analyzing the characters like they are patients where I work. I’m spiritual but not a bible thumper and am quite comfortable with where I am in my life. I am non judgemental and feel that each person needs to make their own choices and have found that my faith works well for me.

So do I have superhuman strength? Uh no. Can I read people’s minds? I wish. Have I found the fountain of youth? Sheesh the things you people will believe. So then why should I be a superhero…wait for it…drumroll please. I’m a virgin.

Try not to choke on your gasp.

There’s more, I’m a virgin by choice.

I’ll give you a moment now to let that sink in. Then I’ll continue.

Are you done yet? You need more time? Okay but I do have things to say here and it can’t be all about you.

I’ll continue now. It’s true I’m a virgin. I’ll help you through the various phases that happen when someone finds out. First assumptions that come through are; I don’t know where to find men who want to have sex. Okay now you’re going to have to give me a minute to stop my insatiable laughter. I didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday people; give me a little credit here.

Next you’ll be saying I come from a majorly structured home where my overbearing controlling father told me there was no way I was having sex. So now I’m so scared of sex because of my upbringing that I won’t even think about it for fear of being smote down from a damning God. Wrong again, I have trusting parents who told me their beliefs but did not force me to choose anything. If you’d meet me after a few seconds I think you’d agree that telling me to do anything won’t get you very far.

Any other excuse you come up with is basically reaching and frankly I give you more credit than that. I’ll help you out, most men I’ve met want sex and a number have specifically wanted it from me. This of course leads one to understand that I’m quite capable of finding men. As I’ve previously stated my parents trust me and do not control me. For the record, I also do not have a bizarre growth or some type of irreparable disease. There is no foreseeable reason for my virginity except that I’ve chosen it.

Have I convinced you? In a world where Sex in the City and Friends permeate our minds it is inconceivable that a twenty something relatively attractive woman would chose to be a virgin if not oppressed or scared. So then why would I choose it?

Call me a romantic but I grew up with this crazy idea that one has to be in love to have sex. Now please do not mistake love with lust. I’m not talking about the hormonal definition of love. I’m talking about real love. That point where you realize you’ve found a person that not only compliments who you are but who you are about to become. Not someone who completes you, because that infers that you are not whole before. Also not someone who needs you; a couple creates dependants they should not start as dependant on each other.

Okay so maybe more on the uber realistic side not so much the romantic. Maybe that’s my problem I actually think about a relationship before I enter into it. I don’t date someone because my friends think he’s hot or because he showers me with compliments. I tend to look at a potential date as a life partner, not that I go proposing to some unsuspecting guy who asks me out. However, I do tend to try and get to know them from the start. I see no point in jumping to the physical when I know nothing about him intellectually or emotionally. That said physicality is a draw, I’m still a red blooded female after all.

As you can probably assume the number of people I’ve dated is quite stunted because of that belief. I’ve been told I’m too strong and way too independent. I’m sorry is that supposed to be a bad thing? I don’t hate men and I certainly don’t have an issue with being feminine. I do have an issue with giving bits of myself to a number of men just to satisfy a momentary urge.

All of that said I did go through a period of time in my life where I decided that my rigid views on dating and marriage were not helping the relationship aspect of my life. So I decided to lax my standards and see where that took me.

**Yes? No? Too stupid? This does have some legs as it is based on my own life but will veer further as chapters go on. So yeah...there it is. I'll go back to work now. :)
4 Responses
  1. Krista Says:

    See, if you hadn't let me read this before I posted it, I could comment more effectively. :P Nah, you know I love it. Especially since I'm going to be making an appearance at some point! Woot-woot!

    ...Wait, does this mean I have to write a semi-biographical story now too? Man! I knew there was gonna be a catch to this.


  2. Sheri Says:

    Of course you'll make an appearence...did we decide on a name for you. I'm using 'Emily' right now only because I don't like calling everyone 'insert name here' until I can figure out what to call them. lol

    Psh...you knew you'd wanna write a semi-biography...it's kinda fun.

    I think this is more starting off biographical and then veering off into more Caden's story than mine. ;)


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I liked the first-person-conversational side of it. I have gravitated to similar styles in books basically 'cuz I like having a story told to me.
    However I read "Caden" and immediatly thought male. So the point where you put that s(he) couldn't find men, I though "Interesting" maybe this is a bit of a typo. It also was an interesting point of crying during chick flicks ('cuz I was still thinking male). But anyway, I liked it and was wondering where this story was going.
    Chromedomie


  4. Sheri Says:

    LoL Chromedomie...I actually thought Caden sounded masculine when I first read it too...but I like it...I've been told my personality is a bit masculine anyway. lol That said maybe I'll add a 'feminine' bit so people know she's a girl.

    Glad you are interested...I'll add a bit more as soon as I figure out the structure for this story.