Heat Rises...

...except in the Bermuda triangle where I work. I suppose I should call it the Canadian triangle...cause if it was Bermuda I'm sure it'd be decidedly hot all year round. Anyway.

I work in a very old building, those of you who have been here know what I'm talking about. We're talking OLD(for a non-European country that is). So old that the heat has ceased to rise in this building. As the weather gets colder outside the colder it gets upstairs! The top floor is quite a bit cooler than the rest of the building. In fact the main level is the warmest! Figure that out.

Honestly you could stand in the stairwell on one of the stairs and from your waist down would be a couple of degrees warmer than the waist up. I just don't get it. They've combated the problem a bit better than my first year here, but yikes it just throws me off whenever I go up there. Not that I go up there often but the fact still remains it's weird.

In other news the further I get into this month the more distracted I feel...Focus Sheri...Focus. :)
3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    sounds like my house, except it puddles in the basement and goes straight to the attic, leaving our floors decidedly drafty!


  2. Every spring at the school where I teach they turn on the air conditioning so that the temperature hovers around 10 C all day. They do this to keep the teenaged girls covered up, and dressed appropriately (or so they tell us!) I was off on maternity leave last spring so missed the deep freeze, but the year before that I was SOOOOOO cold that one of my students went home and brought back a heater which my whole class huddled around... and this was in JUNE!!! I also had a video of a burning log in a fireplace which I played on the classroom TV which psychologically helped warm us up too. If you want to borrow it, let me know!!!


  3. Sheri Says:

    I am starting to feel less alone in the confused building syndrome. Basement puddles that go to the attic and heaters in June...honestly...is it just to give us something to question? I wonder sometimes.