The Mixed Tape...wait...CD

I made a new one!

It was my thing during the beginning of this hell my family has been living in for 4 and a half years to make mix CDs of all of our favorite worship and love songs. Whatever music we used to express ourselves at that time...the lyrics that touched us the most. We'd (read: I'd) put them together and make one disc of 'our' music. There is a January '04 mix...an '06 mix and a few '05 ones in there. I'm getting pretty damn good at it now...if I do say so myself. Oh yeah my mom agrees....lol

So here's the song list of the newest one. I've mentioned some of the songs in this blog and others you probably recognize...if not...I'll tell you why it's on here just cause I'm hiding out from people today and I just made it...lol

1. The Price of Love - Heather Clark <-- As previously stated in the post entitled (I have learned to be free) this song is my mom's anthem...it's just powerful people and it has not failed to make me cry yet.
2. My Savior My God - Aaron Shust <-- This is my dad's song. He has been told that it's actually an old song but he heard it during worship one day and it resonated so therefore it is fantastic. Although the truth is it really is just amazing. It's hard to sing it when you're in a pit of despair, which makes it all that more powerful.
3. He Reigns - Newsboys <-- I've actually put this on another mix but I just love it I'm putting it on this one too. Also my dad discovered this song a bit after I did (he's slow like that). My favorite line "And all the powers of darkness Tremble at what they’ve just heard ‘Cause all the powers of darkness Can’t drown out a single word." I like that line because I like making the powers of darkness tremble and shutting them up and pissing them off...it makes me smile.
4. Cry Out To Jesus - Third Day <-- The title is pretty self explanatory I mean really if you can't cry out to Jesus how do you properly deal with pain?
5. Not Ready To Make Nice - Dixie Chicks <-- HAHAHA I did not think I'd put this on one of my mixes...but both of my parents heard it and loved and and then I finally paid attention to the lyrics and frankly I love it...ahaha We don't conform, my family and I...we don't know how.
6. Praise You In This Storm - Casting Crowns <-- My lovely friend Jenn bought this CD for me and told me to listen to this song...oh my WORD it's so poignant I can't even tell you. It causes me to trust the still small voice who says "I'm with you."
7. Bring The Rain - MercyMe <-- The fact that I followed a 'storm' song with a 'rain' song is not lost on me...this was one of those songs I was listening to in the background and it just hit me. I've blogged about it already...so check the archives if you want more. (my ability to add links has left me for the time being)
8. You Are Loved (Don't Give Up) - Josh Groban <-- I love Josh Groban! His voice is amazing...and his song 'You Raise Me Up' is what we listened to for two of the hardest weeks of my life...every morning...so yeah it seems fitting to have this song on here...and heck the title explains a lot. Check out the lyrics if you are curious. :)
9. A Living Prayer - Alison Krauss <-- My mom loves this song so therefore it is on the CD...I've heard it a few times but haven't formed my own solid attachment.
10. I Would Die For You - MercyMe <-- One of the best lines in a song "You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." Wow so true and so chilling and yeah that line alone makes the song worth it.
11. Thank You - Heather Clark <-- My mom listens to this song when she does communion...it's gorgeous.
12. Amazing Love - Newsboys <-- I like this version of the song...just cause I can.
13. Love Them Like Jesus - Casting Crowns <-- The title is the perfect explanation of how to deal with people who are in pain...so simple and so hard for many people to grasp. Trust me.
14. February Song - Josh Groban <-- In the past four years this month has been pure hell for us...especially me (I miss you Jamie) so yeah...my mom chose it basically because it has February in the title...good thing it's a beautiful song!
15. Lullaby - Dixie Chicks <-- My mom's friend loves this song, introduced it to mom...it's on the CD...I have yet to hear it through...I'm sure it's great. :)

Aren't a just a barrel of laughs when I'm home with nothing to do?
4 Responses
  1. One of the best things I get every Christmas is a mix C.D. a friend of mine always makes for me.

    Also:One of the most VIVID dreams I EVER had involved a bunch of guys sitting around a fire playing guitars folk fest style, and one of them started singing a song that went something like:

    Why don'tcha make me a tape?
    Why don'tcha make me a tape?
    Show me you love me, baby,
    Make me a tape.

    I told my students about it the next day (really, I'm not kidding, it was the most VIVID dream ever) and they said it was a new century, and people don't make tapes anymore. (However, they also agreed that changing the lyrics to "Why don'tcha burn me a disc" would make the song lose a lot of its appeal.)


  2. Anonymous Says:

    sounds like you have a few stories i'd like to hear...

    m


  3. Krista Says:

    Are you home yet? I miss you...


  4. Sheri Says:

    LOL Whippersnapper that is killer! Nice dream...I'm gonna have that in my head and yes adding disc would lose the appeal your chant has going on. Mix tapes are the best. :)

    I'm chalk full of stories although not all of them are very uplifting.